After six months of hard work and preparation, the Riverina Fishing Classic is over for another year.
Over 500 competitors turned out for three days of competition.
Event committee member Shaun Roche said the entire weekend had
“It went really well. We had more than 500 entries and caught over 100 fish,” Mr Roche said.
The money raised from the event goes to a good cause each year. This year, the committee we able to present CanAssist with a cheque for $20,000.
It went really well. We had more than 500 entries and caught over 100 fishShaun Roche
Mr Roche felt their was a lot of visible talent down by the water’s edge.
“Our champion angler was Kylie Ryan and our junior champion angler was Cody Eade,” he said.
“Byron Mark caught the biggest cod of the weekend, at 64 centimetres long.”
While the Riverina Fishing Classic is now in it’s fifth year, it initially began as an idea over drinks at the pub.
“Myself and Chris Sutton were having a beer at the pub after work one day. It just ran from there,” he said.
“It initially ran through the APEX Club, but as it grew we had our wives come on board. These days they practically run the whole show.”
Mr Roche said each event takes roughly six months preparation in the lead-up.
He said new technology made available by Trevor Peacock had also made a world of difference over the past few years.
“We have thank Trevor for helping us out. His computer program has made the competition so much more efficient,” he said.
“It manages all of the databases and entries. It makes the competition a lot more enjoyable to run.”
There were a number of winners on the day:
Early bird winners:
- Lachlan Turnbull
- Steven Fattore
- Senior Champion angler: Kylie Ryan (387cm)
- Junior Champion angler: Cody Eade (241cm)
- Senior Male biggest murray cod: Scott Goodsall (89cm)
- Senior Female biggest murray cod: Kylie Ryan (73cm)
- Junior Male biggest murray cod: Byron Mark (64cm)
- Junior Female biggest murray cod: Paige Goudie (64cm)
- Senior Male biggest yellow belly (golden perch): Shaun Krzus (49cm)
- Senior Female biggest yellow belly (golden perch): Kellie Griffiths (38cm)
- Junior Male biggest yellow belly (golden perch): Brody Kenningale (52cm)
- Junior Female biggest yellow belly (golden perch): Michaela Oldham (44cm)
- Largest carp: Abbey O'Grady 69cm
- Best represented fishing club: Griffith North Side Leagues Club ($1000 cash)