Police have called for change following the end of a tragic holiday period on NSW roads. Of the nearly 30 people to lose their lives on the road this Christmas, four fatalities took place in the MIA.
More than 28 people have lost their lives on NSW roads over the holidays, more than twice last year’s total.
NSW Deputy Commissioner Specialist Support, Catherine Burn said these numbers will continue unless there is some serious change.
“The biggest tragedy is that most of the lives that were lost throughout the year and during the operation were avoidable,” she said.
“Simply put, it is poor decisions that are killing people on our roads and it’s not just the person making poor decisions that are dying, they are often taking innocent people with them.”
Three separate single vehicle accidents around the MIA took the lives of four people in just 18 days.
Most recently, one man lost his life in a single vehicle crash near Beelbangera in the early hours of Christmas Day.
Just days earlier, police described a crash that took the lives of a 15-year old girl and a 24-year-old male on Kidman Way just south of Darlington Point as a “tragic accident”.
Police were notified of the accident around 15 kilometres south of Darlington Point at about 12.15pm on December 21. It appears the car has lost control and collided with a tree.
A man also lost his life in a single vehicle crash at Barellan on December 16.
Police believe fatigue may have played a role in several of the crashes.
A total of 1454 major crashes were reported, resulting in 479 injuries.
Over 49,000 infringements were issued across the state, including 20, 245 for speeding. Within Griffith LAC 778 infringement were issued. Of those, 493 copped notices for speeding and 36 for not wearing the proper restraints.
Griffith LAC’s Inspector Kim Traynor said drivers need to take more care, especially on longer commutes.
“With three weeks of the school holidays and the Australia Day weekend coming up we are urging motorists to stay safe on the roads,” she said.
“We need drivers and road users to take personal responsibility, particularly to plan their trips and being aware of fatigue-related issues.”
She advised drivers to take full advantage of Driver Reviver stops and rest stops, especially when travelling for over two hours.
Deputy Commissioner Burn said NSW drivers need to start thinking more seriously about their safety.
“While we will continue enforce the road rules, we need everyone in the community to change their attitude toward road safety.”
Operation Safe Arrival began on December 16 and finished on January 1.